Monday 18 November 2013

Recipe of the day: Homemade Rosemary Croutons

Have left over bread from a dinner party??? Don't know what to do???? Well why not make croutons with the left overs !!!!!!

Now I am the carbs queen in my household, but since having Marley I thought I'll try to reduce the amount of carbs that I take in.... Hell what am I talking about I LOVE MY BREAD!!!!! And I am always the one that gets stuck with the leftover breads from the family dinners, dinner parties and from the holidays. I get so much sometimes that the bread goes bad with mold or my freezer is jam packed with bread that I cant fit any other types of food groups in there.

Then it hit me one day instead of buying croutons to put in a Ceaser salad or as a garnish in a soup.... Why not make them??? You know..... I do have the bread to do make them, let alone a crap load on the odd occasion.

One of my favorite ones to make is with fresh rosemary as I have it has one of my staple plants on my patio and I love the taste of it.

Here is what you need:
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
A handful of fresh springs of rosemary
Day old or leftover bread

Now you can use any time of bread, but I prefer using baguettes weather it be French, sourdough, Tuscany style or even a day old focaccia. The reason is that I like the taste of them and find that they give me better results for the croutons.

Pre-heat the oven to 350


First step is to cut the bread into bite size cubes and place them into a mixing bowl.

Second step- put in the rosemary, salt and pepper to taste and enough olive oil to coat the bread and let is stand for a minute or two so that the bread can soak up the flavours. Then put the bread on a cookie sheet that is lined with foil and stick it in the oven and let them cook for about 10-15 mins or until golden brown.

Once golden brown take them out of the oven and let them cool down. Once cooled down store them in an air tight container. They can stay in your pantry for about 2 weeks. Unless you live in my house on where they don't even last the day as we snack on them throughout the whole day.

Hope you enjoy!!!! And don't forget you can experiment with different flavours and seasonings

Other great flavours I love to use:
Roasted garlic
Chilli flakes
Parmasen Cheese
Salt and pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment