Friday 29 November 2013

Breastfeeding 101





Breastfeed or not to breastfeed???? That is the Question.

   Okay so I’m not a doctor or a nurse in this field and its a very touchy subject. But I am a mother, and on several occasion I have had this conversation with other mothers about breastfeeding and what is going through our minds. And to tell you the truth its hard because we just want our little bundle of joy to be healthy and to gain the weight that they need to grow.

    If you breastfeed your new born….. that is great!!! If you give the bottle…. that’s great as well!!!!



The reason why I am for both the bottle and for breastfeeding is because I know each mother and child are different when it comes to feeding. Some babies may prefer one over the other or you as a mother, your body may not be able to produce the milk for your baby in order for them to do the breastfeeding from the boob.

   We may get lectures on how breastfeeding is the best way for your child to get all of the nutrition that they need and how that its the only way. NEWS FLASH!!!!! we get it alright but it is hard. And don’t let it get to you if you give your baby the bottle, the boob or a bit of both. When Marley was born I did both because she was still hungry when she was done with my breasts and at one point she went on a bottle strike, on where she wanted the boob and only the boob. Then one day out of the blue, I noticed that she wasn't really digging the boob factor for being fed, I went and made a bottle, lone and behold Marley took the bottle. SWEET!!!! Bottle strike is now over. So just go with what your child wants and that’s all you have to worry about.

Now if you breast feed your little one you want to make sure you invest in a breast pump. Now the one that I use before Marley stopped taking the bottle is Medela. It is the top of the line breast pump and it is great and it even has its own line of bottles. The other type of pump that I used is the safety line, now with this type of pump there was a lot of small parts to it and if you lost one it didn’t pump…. so you are pretty much shit out of luck when that happens which I was and you need to go and buy the part if you can find it or spring for a new breast pump.

Now if you give your child the bottle with formula. I’m not going to suggest what formula to use as it is all trial and error to find the one that your child will drink, but make sure you find one that gives as much as the same nutrition that your breast milk will give. I have used both Enfamil and good start. At first, I preferred Good Start as I found that it had a lot of nourishments and was the closest to breast milk. Now I've switched over to Enfamil, as I've noticed that Marley breaks out a little bit on her face when she was drinking Good Start, you still get the same nourishments as the Good start. Another formula that you can use is Similac. Once again its all in the trail and error of what your child prefers.

Bottles!!! got to love those bottles. Now my favorite bottle is the DR. Browns they are great as it reduce the amount that your little one will swallow at a time, reduce the amount of burps that you need to do and they have a cool flow system within the bottle and got great ratings. The other one I am a fan of is the nuk nuk they come in different sizes and the nipple on the bottle is some what shaped like the ones that we have. The one that I am some what on the fence with is the medela bottle. Its great and all and its perfect if you have the medela breast pump but I find that the nipple is to long as it makes Marley gag. But once again these are the ones that I’ve tried and have worked when Marley took the bottle…. so its all about the trial and error to see which one works for you.



And just remember weather you breastfeed or give your child the bottle its okay your NOT doing anything wrong, you are just feeding your child!!!!

Want more info, then check out these great websites:
https://www.nestle-baby.ca/en/baby/birth/labour/breast+feeding+basics.htm
www.babycenter.com/baby-formula-feeding
www.consumerreports.org/cro/breast-pumps/buying-guide.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment